An official website of the United States government

A Visa
Diplomat or Foreign Official Assigned to the United States


Based on your responses, you should apply for an A visa.  This means that you are planning to visit the United States as a Diplomat or other government official:

Diplomats and other foreign government officials traveling to the United States to engage solely in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government must obtain A-1 or A-2 visas prior to entering the United States.

Diplomats and Officials requiring A1 visas:

        • Head of State or Government, regardless of the purpose of travel
        • Official coming to serve at a foreign embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services in the United States, such as an ambassador or consul
        • Government minister or cabinet member coming for official activities
        • European Union (EU) and African Union (AU) delegation representatives
        • Immediate family members of an A-1 visa holder

Officials and Employees requiring A2 visas:

        • A full-time employee assigned by that government, coming only to work at a foreign embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services in the United States, to perform duties that take place at an embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services
        • Government official representing your government, coming to the United States based on the written request of your country to perform official, government-related duties
        • Foreign military members stationed at a U.S. military base or assigned to a foreign embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services in the United States
        • The staff of European (EU) and African Union (AU) delegation representatives
        • Immediate family members of an A-2 visa holder

For more details on an A Visa, visit Travel.State.gov.

Be sure to view local information below to determine fees and payment process and additional requirements.

How to Apply

Complete the online visa application

        • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 – You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
        • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

You should have the following documents available while you complete your DS-160

        • Passport
        • Travel itinerary if you have already made travel arrangements.
        • Dates of your last five visits or trips to the United States if you have previously travelled to the United States. You may also be asked for your international travel history for the past five years.
        • Résumé or Curriculum Vitae – You may be required to provide information about your current and previous education and work history.
        • Other Information – Some applicants, depending on the intended purpose of travel, will be asked to provide additional information when completing the DS-160.

Some applicants will need to have additional information and documents handy while completing the DS-160

        • Students and Exchange Visitors (F, J, and M): You will be asked to provide your SEVIS ID, which is printed on your I-20 or DS-2019, so you should have this form available when completing your DS-160. You also will be asked to provide the address of the school/program at which you intend to study. This information should also be on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.
        • Petition-based Temporary Workers (H-1B, H-2, H-3, CW1, L, O, P, R, E2C): You should have a copy of your I-129 available when completing your DS-160.
        • Other Temporary Workers: You will be asked for information about your employer, including the employer’s address while completing your DS-160.

After you complete your DS-160, gather the required documentation

        • Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
        • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page (For applicants applying outside the United States)
        • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
        • A diplomatic note – This note is written confirmation from your country’s government of your status and official purpose of travel. A-3 applicants also require diplomatic notes to confirm the official status of their employers. Beginning July 1, 2014, the sending government must provide the following information in the diplomatic note submitted with any A-1 or A-2 visa application outside the United States, and for any request for a change into such visa status in the United States:
          • the government official’s or employee’s name, date of birth, position and title, place of assignment or visit, purpose of travel, a brief description of his or her duties, travel date, and the anticipated length of the tour of duty or stay in the United States, and
          • the names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the government official or employee.
        • For an immediate family member applying separate from the principal visa applicant – A copy of both the visa and the I-94 (both front and back) for the principal visa holder is required.

Additional documentation may be required

Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of the embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services where you will apply. Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified.

Immediate Family Members

Visa application procedures for your immediate family members are the same as for you. Important Notice: Effective immediately, U.S. embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services will adjudicate visa applications that are based on a same-sex marriage in the same way that we adjudicate applications for opposite gender spouses.

Immediate family members are defined as the spouse and unmarried sons and daughters who are members of your household, even if studying in a different location. An immediate family member may also be a person who will reside regularly in your household, is not a member of some other household, and is recognized as your immediate family member by the sending Government, as demonstrated by eligibility for rights and benefits, such as the issuance of a diplomatic or official passport or travel and other allowances.

In addition to a spouse and unmarried sons and daughters, immediate family members who may qualify to receive A-category visas include:

        • any other relative, by blood, marriage, or adoption, of you or your spouse;
        • a domestic partner; and
        • a relative by blood, marriage, or adoption of the domestic partner.

The term “domestic partner” means a same-sex domestic partner. Domestic partners may be issued A-category visas if the sending country would provide reciprocal treatment to domestic partners of U.S. diplomats and government officials in that country.

A family member who does not qualify as immediate family, as described above, may qualify for a visitor (B-2) visa. Visitor visa applicants are required to pay visa application and issuance fees, if applicable.

Personal Employees

Personal employees, attendants, domestic workers, or servants of individuals who have a valid A-1 or A-2 visa may receive an A-3 visa, if they meet the requirements in 9 FAM 402.3-9. As part of the application process, the applicant must have an interview at the embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services. A written contract must be provided to the consular officer.  The employer must provide proof that the applicant will receive the minimum wage and be provided working conditions in accordance with U.S. law. In addition, the applicant needs to demonstrate that s/he will perform the contracted employment duties. The consular officer will determine eligibility for the A-3 visa. Applicants for A-3 visas must apply outside the United States.

If the employer is not the principal officer or deputy principal officer or does not carry the diplomatic rank of minister or higher, the employer must demonstrate that he or she will have sufficient funds to provide the minimum wage and working conditions, as reflected in the contract. Consideration is also given to the number of employees an employer would reasonably be able to pay.

To apply for an A-3 visa, the visa applicant must submit each of the items explained in the How to Apply: A-3 Visas.

For more information on the DS-160 please visit the Travel.State.gov FAQ page.

Pay Fees (Prices in U.S. Dollars)

Individuals who qualify for an official visa classification ( A, G, C-3, NATO) are exempt from paying visa fees.

Schedule an Interview

Schedule an interview online (using the barcode of your Form DS-160) and print the appointment confirmation. Because of space limitations in our public waiting area, only the person with an appointment for an interview will be admitted. Exceptions: Parents or guardians of a minor child who has an appointment, a caregiver for a disabled person, and young children accompanying the person with an appointment will be allowed to enter the waiting area.

Applicants aged 14 – 79 are required (some exceptions for renewals) to book one interview slot each and appear in person for an interview with a consular officer. While an interview is generally not required for children aged 13 and younger or for adults aged 80 and older, please keep in mind that a consular officer can require any applicant to appear for an interview. When submitting an application for a non-present child, the person present at the interview should bring the child’s birth certificate or family book as a supporting document.

Local Information

Please read the information in this section carefully.  It contains location-specific information that you will need to know when applying for your Visa.

Select the country or area where you will apply for your visa:


    Application Status

    You can check the status of your visa application on ceac.state.gov.

    Some visa applications may require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a consular officer. Applicants are advised of this requirement when they apply. When administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case.