An official website of the United States government

DS-11 for Minors
Children under sixteen

How to Apply

Based on the information provided, you need to complete a DS-11 for your child. Please see the Local Information section to determine if you are required to submit an online form or complete the downloadable PDF form.

Step 1: Complete and print the DS-11 form. Do not sign the form.

Step 2: Provide evidence of U.S. citizenship (original or certified copies).

You must provide an original or certified version of your child’s citizenship evidence.  We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. You must submit one of the following:

  • Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.
  • A U.S. birth certificate  that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists the child’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists the parent(s)’ full names
    • Has the date filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar’s signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • If you were born outside the United States to at least one U.S. citizen parent, and you have not previously established a claim to U.S. citizenship, please visit the Citizenship Evidence

In addition to the original citizenship evidence, bring a photocopy (front and back) of the Citizenship Evidence document to leave at the embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services.

More information is available on the Citizenship Evidence page.

Step 3: Submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies. Photocopies and notarized copies will not be accepted.

Step 4: Present ID.

All legal parents/guardians must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify them.

  • Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.
  • Valid U.S. driver’s license. Digital IDs cannot be accepted.
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport

Learn more about Photo Identification requirements.

  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID you present, that is:
  • On white paper;
  • Single-sided; and
  • Does not decrease the image size.

Step 5: Attach one photo to the application. 

Photo requirements for a U.S. passport may differ from passport photo requirements of other countries. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements.

Step 6: If you have a damaged passport, prepare a signed statement explaining the damaged or mutilated condition of your passport book and/or card.

Step 7: Visit the Local Information section to make an appointment and learn how to pay the application fees.

Fees (Prices in U.S. Dollars)

Some locations accept fees in local currency. Visit the Local Information section to learn more.

Product Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book $100 $35
Passport Card $15 $35
Passport Book & Card $115 $35

Local Information

Please Select Your Country or Area: