An official website of the United States government

Passport for children and 16/17 year-olds who cannot have both parents present at the time of application.

How to Apply

Based on the information provided, you need to complete a DS-11. Please see the Local Information section to determine if you are required to submit an online form or a handwritten form.

Please Note:  Some embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services require a complete Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) with a Minor or Youth passport application.

Step One: Complete the form.

Step Two: Print it out, but do not sign it.

Step Three: Provide proof of parental relationship.

      • Birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
      • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)
      • Foreign birth certificate
      • Adoption decree
      • Divorce/Custody decree

Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).

Step Four: Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (Original or Certified copies):

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

      • Fully valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
      • birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
        • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
        • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
        • Lists your parent(s)’ full names
        • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
        • Has the registrar’s signature
        • Has the seal of the issuing authority
      • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
      • Certificate of Naturalization
      • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

Step Five: Bring a photocopy (front and back) of the Citizenship Evidence document (to leave at the Mission).

Step Six: Present ID.

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

      • In-state, fully valid driver’s license
      • Fully valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
      • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
      • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
      • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
      • Valid foreign passport

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

Please note:

        • Some states now issue digital ID documents (also known as mobile driver’s licenses or mobile IDs). We cannot accept these digital IDs when you apply for your U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical, photo ID and a photocopy of the ID.
        • If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
        • If you are changing the gender marker in your U.S. passport, please see these additional requirements.
        • U.S. embassies and consulates will not be able to offer emergency passports with X gender markers until all technological updates are complete in late 2023. If an X gender marker passport holder loses their passport while traveling overseas, they will need to select a binary gender marker (M or F) to be issued an emergency passport. Once they have completed their travel, they have up to one year from the date of issuance to apply for a free replacement routine passport with an X gender marker using Form DS-5504.

Step Seven: Provide a photo.

Attach one photo to your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements.

Please note: Photo requirements for a U.S. passport may differ from passport photo requirements of other countries.

Step Eight: If your passport is damaged, prepare a signed statement explaining the damaged or mutilated condition of your passport book and/or card.

Step Nine: View local information below to determine fees and payment process.

Step Ten: Set an Appointment.

Parental Consent (0-15) and Parental Awareness (16-17)

Parental Consent:  If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.” You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must:

      • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and
      • Submit a photocopy of the front and backside of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.
      • Please note: In certain countries, a DS-3053 must be notarized at a U.S. embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services. (See Local Information section below to see requirements for your country)

If there are special circumstances, and the parent cannot obtain the DS-3053 because you cannot locate the other parent, please complete a DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances”.

      • Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
      • We will ask for additional evidence. Examples include a custody order, an incarceration order, or a restraining order to protect against international parental child abduction.
      • If the non-applying parent is deployed by the military, he or she should be able to provide a notarized Form DS-3053 in most cases. In the rare case that the non-applying parent cannot be contacted, you must provide either military orders with a Form DS-5525 showing the non-applying parent can’t be contacted because they are on a special assignment for more than 30 days outside of their duty station OR a signed statement from the non-applying parent’s commanding officer that they can’t be reached.

Parental Awareness:  If A legal parent or legal guardian cannot appear with you in person when you apply for your passport:

            • Submit a signed note from your legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
            • Submit proof that your legal parent or legal guardian is paying your application fees (Example: parent or guardian name is written on the check or money order).
            • We may ask you to submit a notarized statement from your legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports you receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.
            • Bring a Photocopy of ID.

Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.

            • The photocopy must be on white paper.
            • The photocopy cannot be double-sided.
            • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it).

Be sure to view local information below to determine fees and payment process and additional requirements.

Fees (Prices in U.S. Dollars)

Product Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book $130 $35
Passport Card $30 $35
Passport Book & Card $160 $35

Local Information

Please Select Your Country or Area:

    Additional Information

    What not to bring to your appointment

          1. Visitors are not allowed to bring cell phones, laptops, tablets, and similar electronic devices onto the premises. Visitors carrying unauthorized objects will not be granted entry.
          2. To facilitate and speed up your entry into the compound we recommend you bring no large bags such as suitcases, backpacks, and packages.
          3. Baby food and/or essential medications (in plastic containers only, NO glass) should be brought to the attention of the guards.
          4. Once you enter the screening area, be prepared to remove all metallic items, together with your coat/jacket, belt, handbag/rucksack/briefcase, etc.