An official website of the United States government

Passport Renewal for Adults

How to Apply

Based on the information provided, you need to complete a DS-82. Please see the Local Information section to determine if you are required to submit an online form or complete the downloadable PDF form.

If your most recent passport was issued when you were under 16 years old, you must use the DS-11 form to apply for your next passport.

Step 1: Complete, print, and sign the DS-82 form

Step 2: Submit your most recent passport with your application.

Your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you, but may come in a separate mailing from your new passport.

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

Your name change document may be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport.

Step 3: Attach one photo to your application.

Photo requirements for a U.S. passport may differ from passport photo requirements of other countries. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements.

Step 4: Visit the Local Information section to make an appointment and learn how to pay the application fees.

Some consular offices require mail-in applications and others require appointments.

Step 5: Submit application and supporting documentation.

Visit the Local Information section to access specific instructions for submitting the application and supporting documentation.

Fees (Prices in U.S. Dollars)

Some locations accept fees in local currency as well U.S. dollars and/or credit cards. Visit the Local Information section to learn more.

Product Application Fee
Passport Book $130
Passport Card $30
Passport Book & Card $160

Local Information

Please Select Your Country or Area: